Date:
Tue, 26 Jan 1993 10:01:38 -0500
In answer to the question why the ECAC plays so few games, it is because
the Ivy League teams (Cornell, Brown, Dartmouth, Princeton, Yale, and Harvard)
limit themselves to 26 regular season games.  It is part of the philosophy
that the player is a student before he is an athlete.  The other six ECAC
teams play 32 games a year as a compromise between the Ivies and teams in
other conferences.

As to the gripe that Prop. 31 will limit scholarships, I'd like to point out
that the Ivies have been able to put together outstanding programs (Harvard's
number 2 ranking in the polls this year and Cornell's two national championships
 are good examples) without giving out ANY scholarships.  Granted not every
school could do this;  the Ivies prestige makes it easier to recruit good
players.  I don't think, however, that losing two scholarships will make or
break many teams.

Paulette Dwen
Cornell '89
Let's Go Red!