From:
George Taber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Nov 90 13:49:29 EST
I've also thought of Ned Harkness several times while the Union College/Div. I
discussion has been going on.  As I remember it, the word that filtered back
to Cornell and Ithaca was that Ned believed that he was hired to build a full
Div. I program at Union, and that he felt betrayed when certain faculty came
out so strongly against him and that program.  Who knows; that was then, and
now is now, and if a school wants to have a Div. I hockey program along with
first-rate academics, that certainly can be done; all it takes is integrity.
One thing that's "a given" is that Ned was never hesitant to lock horns with
ANYONE!  When he was with the Red Wings, he tried to convert Gordie Howe into
a defenseman, the intent being to prolong Gordie's career.  However, the result
was a shortened career for Ned.  Who knows, if Howe had listened to Ned, he
might still be playing, and "The Great One" would still be chasing THE record!
Take Care,  George.