From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 28 Nov 1991 00:13:40 EST
Jeffrey Anbinder writes:
>Does anybody know why Laing Kennedy thought it appropriate to interrupt
>the Big Red Hockey team's Thanksgiving break with two non-league, and
>therefore unimportant, games?
>
>It's not a tournament, is it?  Is it just to toughen our schedule for
>NC** tourney purposes?
>
>If so, then why in God's name would Providence and Boston College have
>wanted to schedule these games?  Certainly not for the same reason!

No, it isn't a tournament, they are just standard NLG.

I'm not sure what you are suggesting.  Cornell has 4 nonleague games to
schedule, so they are going to play somebody.  PC and BC are good teams,
so whether it is meant to help them for NC** consideration or just to help
the team improve by playing good nonleague competition, I don't think it
was a bad move.  And both PC and BC have 13 possible NLG to play, and
Cornell is far from the worst teams these two will play.

I would not call them unimportant games and I doubt any of the three teams
considers them to be that either.

Also, perhaps like the other ECAC teams, Cornell wishes to renew its old
rivalries with some of its former ECAC foes.
---
Mike Machnik        [log in to unmask]       [log in to unmask]