Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 1996 13:34:02 -0700
I didn't see the UMass-Lowell games this year, so I can't pass judgment on
this past weekend. And if you feel that I'm only bitter after this weekend,
let's just say it took this weekend's performance to let years of
frustration out onto the keyboard.

Tom Noble and Michel Larocque STINK.

Okay, they don't really stink. But when has BU had any *solid* goaltending?
In 8 years of watching Terrier hockey, I haven't yet seen a single season
where the netminders have *consistently* played well between the pipes.
Cashman, Herlofsky, Bradley, McKersie, Fish (yes!) -- all talented goalies,
yes. But "great" goaltenders? Hardly. And now we've got Noble and Larocque.
I wonder if they think they've got a future in the NHL, just like Cashman?

I don't believe in looking at a goalie's numbers to evaluate his
performance; if I did, I would be even more distraught over the following:

[using Sean's information as a springboard...]

>                          HOCKEY EAST
>PLAYER, SCHOOL         GP  W-L-T  GAA    SV%
>Noble/Larocque, BU     16 11-3-2  3.56  .879
>
>                          OVERALL
>PLAYER, SCHOOL         GP   W-L-T  GAA    SV%
>Noble/Larocque, BU     24  17-3-3  3.42  .875

Bleccch. This performance on the (previously) #1 team in the country?

Now granted, BU's defense was not expected to be particular strong this
year. However, it's turned out that BU's defense has played quite well,
hasn't it? Allowing an average shots-against in the mid-20's? That's not
too bad. Then why is BU letting in 3.5 goals per game? GRANTED, these kids
are facing some quality shots... but so are the other goaltenders in the
league. The only reason that there aren't more goals scored against BU is
that their forechecking is so overwhelming that opposing teams can't get it
out of their own zone. Except for Lowell.

I mean no offense here when I say that J.P. McKersie, if starting right
now, would probably put up similar numbers with the BU offense (and
defense) playing in front of him.

I remember Noble's first game, when he was put in midway through a game
against Merrimack. He faced his first shot on goal as a college goalie...
and let it by. Now I'm not an experienced netminder myself, but I've seen
quite a few goalies make the save on weak chipshots before.

Likewise, I remember Noble in last year's championship, as a very poised,
very solid goaltender. If you look at individual games you might see key
performances. However, one shouldn't have to look at single, spread-out
games to find skill in a player.

Don't get me wrong here. I'm still damn happy that BU is playing as well as
it is, and look forward to next week's beanpot, the Hockey East playoffs,
and the possibility of seeing the Terriers in Cincinatti. But just once,
JUST ONCE, I'd like to see a BU team that plays consistently and solidly
(see also: Harvard 88-89; Maine 92-93, as well too many western teams to
mention).

This brings me to the subject of Jack Parker.

Yes, he's won 500 games, 17 tournaments, 8 titles, 2 championships, blah,
blah, blah. Big Deal.

Throughout the 80's Parker's teams were always considered to be "playing
below potential." Year after year, the Boston press remarked the same way,
but year after year they seemed to avoid the central issue here -- Parker
himself.

In 1991, Parker took possibly one of the best college hockey teams ever
assembled (Amonte, McEachern, Sacco, Tomlinson, Ahola, Lachance, Tkachuk,
et al) to the national championship. The season itself, while blistering in
its offense, was sporadic. Last year's BU squad, considerably less
talented, achieved a better record. To top it all off, BU loses the
championship in mega-OT -- after blowing a great lead.

It took three trips to the final game for BU to re-capture the title --
three trips where BU was favored every time. Throw in two other
non-spectacular semifinal losses and you've got a sssssmokin 1 for 5 in
final four play. Discrete math tells with those odds you should at least go
1 for 4. Then again, Parker doesn't teach math. (does Jeff Jackson?)

Over the years I've seen BU lose games -- both big and small -- that they
just plain shouldn't have lost. Every year you hear the same thing around
Boston: "The BU players just lost their [insert emotion here] last night,
and fell to [insert underdog or big-game opponent here] after having a
[insert 3-or more interger here] goal lead."

Yet nobody seems willing to come forward and say it: THIS IS ALL PARKER'S FAULT.

In an interview with Parker, he claims he doesn't see himself as a leader;
rather, he prefers the team captains to be the leaders of the team. He
prefers to see himself as a teacher of the game. He doesn't want to drive
the emotions of the kids, he doesn't want to tell them what to do. He
simply wants to help teach them to play the best hockey they can.

Well Jack, maybe it's about time you start to throw the chair around the
locker room a bit and make your team realize it's potential, and play up to
it. Stop looking for the blame elsewhere -- for the last time, Jack, it's
not the refs' fault! Sometimes Parker is as hypocritical as the visiting
coaches who used to blame their teams' losses on the "poor ice quality" at
Walter Brown.

Especially when compared to other coaches in the game (Jackson, Mason,
Gwozdecky, Walsh -- yes, Walsh), Parker really hasn't even accomplished
much. BU has ALWAYS been a top-notch hockey team. Parker hasn't elevated
this program to another level; at best, he's made it a better stepping
stone to the pros. Does that make him a better coach?

Most of the other "greats" listed by Hockey-L'ers have accomplished a wide
variety of taks as head coaches, but most importantly, they've developed
strong, consistent programs that WIN. Okay, maybe there aren't too many
teams that come around like Harvard and Maine in their championship years,
but don't you think that with the talent available, BU should have been one
of those teams as well?

All in all, I see BU incapable of playing an entire season with
consistency; they are always explosive, but only if they decide to board
the bus to the game. Throughout the past 8 years this has plagued BU, and
there's only one common denominator here.

Pahkah.

greenie

S P O O N ! !
(go BU)