Date:
Tue, 21 Nov 1995 20:06:34 -0600
For those of you who don't know me, I'm Katie Arth, and I'm a senior
at the College of St. Catherine, in St. Paul, MN.  St. Kate's is
a private women's college.  The reason I am asking for help is this:

It has been proposed that there be a 2 sheet ice arena built at
St. Kate's.  This arena would be funded primarily by a $250,000
Mighty Ducks grant, and then by private donors.  Now, this is
great for women's hockey in Minnesota, seeing that as of now
there is only one college in the state that has a women's hockey
team - the U, and they won't begin until the '97 season.

The issue at hand is there are a lot of conservative, close minded
(to the sport of hockey, and athletics in general) students here.
They are worried about parking spaces and an increase in tuition,
(of which there won't be).  Their primary issue is that we're here
for academics, not athletics.  Personally, I believe that athletics
are an integral part of an education.  I am doing research to present
to the Board of Trustees in two weeks.  What I need to know is this:

Which colleges around the country have women's hockey programs?
What (if known) are the academic criteria for admission to the college?
How many women on these teams are academic-all-American students?
If you're on a women's hockey team, do you have any comments or
suggestions for our situation?

Absolutely any help or encouragement is GREATLY appreciated!  While I
am a senior and will be gone as of May, I honestly believe that
the addition of an arena on campus will add not only to the St. Kate's
community, but to the St. Paul community as well - as there is a
shortage of ice time as it is.

Thanks much,

Katie