From:
Charlie Shub <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 20 Nov 1995 16:30:01 -0700
> Date:         Mon, 20 Nov 1995 22:38:56 GMT
> From: Jayson Moy <[log in to unmask]>
>
> In article <v01510102acd546f9a7a7@[206.20.81.151]>,
> Kenneth W. Johnson, Laura U. Nowack <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> >>
> > I simply can't believe that RPI schedules teams that looked as bad as AF.
> > Likewise, it is very unfair for AF to schedule games against Div. I teams
> > that blow them out, and RPI is not even a good Div. I team this year.
>
> Let's first keep in mind that a lot of the schedules are set either 1 or more
> years in advance.  No one knows what a team will be like in 1 or 2 or more
> years.  This is a case in point.

Moreover, Ken and Laura are absolutely misinformed about air force.
Air force is UNDEFEATED against Hockey east, having given away a tie
to Lowell two weeks ago, and then coming back to earn a tie the
following night.  I also thought they were better than Illinois
Chicago, but didn't see the saturday night game.  Last week, they had
a bad first period againgst elmira, but came back to beat them
soundly.

For the record, even after this weeks's debacle, they still rank
better than dartmouth.  Before the losses, they ranked ahead of 4 ecac
teams and two ccha teams.

> >Case in point. #7 on defense for AF had a terrible game.  He directly
> >contributed to 6 RPI goals through misplays in the corners, bad clearing
> >passes that were intercepted and generally confused play.  It got to the
> >point that whenever he was on the ice, I knew there would be an RPI goal
> >and often there was.  When there wasn't, there was a near miss (off the
> >post, great save, etc.).  He clearly is not a Division I player.  While the
> >rest of the AF defense wasn't as suspect, the score tells you a great deal.
> >Most of the goals were not goalie lapses.  It's tough to make a lot of
> >saves when there is no one in the slot clearing the RPI forwards out or
> >preventing the quick pass to the wing at the post.
> >

> I was as surprised at the outcome as a lot of people were.  I did not think
> Air Force was a bad team.  But then again, looking at their lineup, they were
> missing at least 2 people who I can point to as being important who were
> not in the lineup.  And with the civilian furlough, no one to ask of the
> questions.  Pat Ryan and Dan Leone.  Where were they (Charlie?)  Two
> of Air Force's better players.  Plus Bilek graduating hurts.  But Pat
> Kielb played 2 horrendous games in goal, he looked awful.  Maybe the plane
> ride across the country and jet lag set in for Air Force, remember this
> was their first road trip of the season.

Pat Ryan took a cross check in the Friday Elmira game that broke two
ribs.  Dan Leone, after the friday Elmira game suffered some seizures
(cause still unknown at this point) and is not playing hockey.  I have
no idea how much the "shutdown" impacted the team.  I do know the bus
drivers were furloughed (as were the normal zamboni operators)

charlie shub   University of Colorado at Colorado Springs
[log in to unmask]  -or-  [log in to unmask]
(719) 593 3492               (fax) 593-3369