From:
Jayson Moy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jayson Moy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 1995 14:36:45 GMT
In article <v01510105acd014fb534c@[10.0.2.15]>,
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I was honored to have been asked by Jayson and Kurt Stutt to serve as color
>announcer for next Tuesday's Merrimack at RPI game.  Last season, I worked
>with these gentlemen on the game between the two teams in the semifinals of
>the RPI Invitational, and it was a lot of fun, so I am looking forward to
>it.

Hey if it wasn't fun, we wouldn't have asked you back :)

>Those folks in the area or at the game may wish to tune in on WRPI-91.5FM
>and enjoy a rare opportunity to hear followers of opposing teams work
>together.  Of course, if you can, I believe you should be tuning in to
>WRPI's broadcasts anyway, but maybe this will be added incentive. :-)

This touches on a subject that I believe to be important.  The biasness
of a broadcaster.  I am, and always will be a firm believer that any
broadcaster, whether it be color or play-by-play should be non-biased.
I believe that the commentator is doing the listener a grave injustice
by being biased to any one side.  In us bringing Mike along to broadcast
a game with us, we feel we are expanding the horizons of the listener,
making them aware that while they hear the RPI side of the story a lot
of times from newspapers, television reports, and radio reports, one
does not always get the whole story.

With Mike, or any broadcaster not devoted to broadcasting RPI hockey, we
feel that this lends a flavor of overall quality.  It should make the game
more interesting to the listener.  More interesting to those who want
to hear stories, different views, and angles.

Yes, people will be angry that you are not always pro-RPI or whomever
you follow, but this is not the message that a radio broadcast should send
across.

The one FIRM rule that I try to instill on people as they start a broadcasting
assignment is that:

If you're excited when your team scores a goal or makes a great play, do
the same when the other team is in the same position.

Why?  Because no matter how much you follow a team, a listener will always
enjoy a great play, no matter which team does it!

I've been on this soapbox a little too long, and maybe I should step down,
but it seems to me that when people come up to me and criticize me for
being excited when a goal is scored for the team playing RPI, I explain
this broadcast non-bias, and nobody seems to understand.  Ah who knows?...

>Game time is 7:30 pm, I believe, although I am not sure when WRPI goes on
>the air for pregame.

Pregame is at 7:15PM, but at 7:00PM, as is the case every Tuesday at
7:00PM, you can tune in my music show!  "The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly".
Tune in and see what it's about! <free plug>

>Since I do not get to do any color work now for Merrimack, which has been
>without a radio contract for two years, I enjoy these opportunities to
>"stay in shape" and to work with some of the outstanding people out there
>who bring their school's games to you.  I hope listeners will feel free to
>give their feedback to Jayson, Kurt, or myself.

I echo this.  Please, if you listen to our broadcasts, please feel free
to write in, or email any of us about what you like and don't like, and
criticism.  But do not write me and tell me I am too excited for the
other team, that's the game of hockey.

* Jayson Moy  RPI '89 '93  *  One of the Voices of Rensselaer Engineer      *
* [log in to unmask]             *  Hockey, Baseball, Football, and Basketball    *
* The "Asian Invasion"     *  on Crystal Clear 91.5FM  WRPI, Troy *EASM*    *
* Check out the WRPI Sports Web Pages on:                                   *
*           http://www.rpi.edu/~stuttk/wrpispts.html                        *