From:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 1995 09:29:12 EST
I was planning on staying out of this one since it seemed a bit off-topic, but
I'm facing a nasty software chore that I'm willing to procrastinate about for
another 15 minutes or so.  :-)  So I'll bite.

Although most of the posts have favored the dominant hand being on top, and
this is definitely the approach taken by the Russians, I have to wonder.
Although having the dominant hand on top would clearly be an advantage for
defenseman (poke checks), it seems to me that when shooting wrist shots the
top hand is involved in a less refined motion, one that simply requires a bit
of strength while the lower hand has a more refined motion (wrist snap) that
might be better oriented for a dominant hand.  I've noticed in youth hockey
that a lot of right-handers who are playing hockey lefty try to do a lot more
on their backhands than righty-righty's do.  A *lot* more.  Perhaps I have too
small a sample size, though.

I would ask this.  Who are the two most prominent snipers you can think of.
By this I mean *snipers* not overall players.  I think of Brett Hull and Cam
Neely.  (The Russians like Bure and Fedorov are the greatest of skaters but
aren't snipers IMO in Hull's category.)  And both of these are righty's.  I
believe that I've seen Neely signing autographs right-handed, so I think he is
a righty-righty.  I'm not so sure about Hull (whose father shot left-handed).

Food for thought, I guess.

DaveH