From:
Patrick E Fleming <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Aug 1991 10:07:53 EDT
> I went to the last BGSU-ND game in South Bend just for the sake that I
> could say I was there for the bitter end.  There seemed to be a
> bitterness about this among the ND fans, but the University in general
> seemed pretty apathetic.

Yes, the fans said something, but the University community as a whole did not
know what was going on.

I remember the final CCHA game at Notre Dame.  It was against the University of
Illinios at Chicago Flames.  The Oak Ridge Boys (who were giving a concert that
evening) sang the national anthem and stayed to watch the first period.  At the
end of the game, the band played taps as the team skated around the ice to
salute their loyal fans.  It is a picture I will never forget.  I have been
waiting for the past nine years to see Notre Dame reurn to the CCHA.  Somehow,
I have always thought it was inevitable - I hope that is not just wishful
thinking.

> I would LOVE it if ND came back to the CCHA.  Gee, with Kent and then ND
> in the CCHA . . . 12 teams??  It's going to be tougher with a 34 game
> schedule . . .

Well, I think only eleven.  In 1982-83 there were twelve teams and they played
a forty game schedule - sheesh!

Let's see . . .

Lake Superior St.    |
Michigan St.         |
Ferris St.           |
Western Michigan     |
Michigan             |
Ohio St.             | These were the CCHA teams in 1982-83.
Miami (Ohio)         |
Bowling Green St.    |
Illinios - Chicago   |
Notre Dame           |
Michigan Tech        |
Northern Michigan    |

> Good luck Coach Schaefer . . . give them a little of their own
> 'Fighting' Irish
>
> a BGSU alumn . . .

A guy I knew who wrote the the Observer (the Notre Dame student paper) attended
the playoff series at BGSU in 1983.  He said that the Falcon fans were all over
Notre Dame razzing them for everything they possibly could.  But then at the
end of the game, the fans shouted in unison, "Goodbye Notre Dame.  We'll miss
you."  He said it was a thoughtful tribute and kind of touching.

     - Pat
.

- Department of Chemistry ------------- The answers are the easy part --
- The Ohio State University ----------- The questions raise the doubt --