From:
larry latour <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 11 Dec 1994 11:31:55 EST
About the Boston Globe not publicizing a BU-UMaine game to spite
Maine:

My family and I went down to Boston a number of years ago (the year
BC was playing in Harvard's rink while Conte was being built) to
see a Maine-BC game (Maine beat BC 3-2 incidently, for those of
you who can remember back that far).

Back at the hotel that night we eagerly awaited a recap of the
score on the local TV news.  As I recall there were also 2 other
HE games being played that night in Boston (I think BU and
Northeastern).  Well, they had an extended sports segment, lasting
almost 5 minutes.  They reported on everything from pro hockey
and basketball to the local dog show, but no college hockey.
The next day the globe had the obligatory 1 paragraph on each
of the games, with absolutely no color at all.

You have to understand that the Black Bears get blanket coverage
in the newsmedia in Northern Maine.  It's obvious why - Competition
(or the lack of it).

Down through the years those of us in it for the long haul have come
to understand how the Boston media works (and I don't mean Fitzgerald's
unfortunate reporting during the Maine fiasco last year).  As one
of the posters commented, it's just what sells newspapers.  In fact,
if I was the sports editor and one of my writers gave excessive
space to a college hockey game, there'd better be a good reason
why.

Larry Latour
UMaine

(I love Maine-BU hockey games.  They remind me of the old BC-Maine
slugfests of a few years ago.  There aren't any winners.  There are
just teams slightly ahead at the end of each game)