From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 16 May 1994 01:37:41 -0400
I ran into Merrimack's Brian Daccord this weekend and learned that he is
leaving the team to take a job as a player/coach in Switzerland.
Brian served well as the team's part-time coach and goalie coach the
last couple of years, and he had a lot to do with Marty Legault's
quick transition to DivI.  He will be missed.  It's sort of a
homecoming for him, as he played for six years in Switzerland
after his career with Merrimack that ran from 1983-87.  His jersey
from Hockey Club Ambri Piotta is on display in the Hockey Hall of Fame
in Toronto.

We will also miss Brian on our radio broadcasts, as we brought him in
for several postgame shows near the end of the season and had planned
to make it a regular feature next year.  He did suggest that we try to
line up several live remotes. :-)

According to Brian, his part-time position will be filled by former
Warrior star Andy Heinze, who served as a volunteer coach in 1993-94.
Andy played for Merrimack from 1986-90 and captained the team his
senior year, the team's first in Hockey East.

On a somewhat related topic, it's nice to see how at a small school
like Merrimack, the people from different programs come together to
support each other.  This past weekend, the 6th-ranked Merrimack
softball team hosted the NC$$ DivII Northeast Regional and ran their
record to 41-4 with three easy wins; they became one of six teams in
the nation to advance to the DivII Softball World Series in Shawnee,
Kansas, and Thursday they will continue their quest to bring the school
only its second national title ever.  The other was won by the hockey
team in 1978 (DivII).

Among those on hand were Merrimack coaches Ron Anderson, Stu Irving,
Brian Daccord and Andy Heinze; AD Bob DeGregorio; several members
of the hockey support staff; and a number of players such as Dan Hodge
and Matt Adams.  All were vocal in their support of the women and we
wish them the best of luck this coming week.
Mike Machnik                                          [log in to unmask]
Cabletron Systems, Inc.                                  *HMM* 11/13/93