From:
The Voice <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Voice <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Mar 1994 22:03:34 -0500
On both of these lists, where I have discussed the intent to attempt to bring
Division 1 hockey to Indiana University, I have recieved some messages
about gender equity.  Well, the Big 1T1en policy for gender equity is such--
they are requiring member schools to have a 60-40 percent ratio in the
number of men's to women's sports.  IU has already fit within this
quota, sponsoring 19 varsity sports.  The breakdown is such
Men (10)--Soccer, Cross Country, Golf, Track, Tennis, Football*,
Basketball, Swimming, Wrestling*, and Baseball
Women (9)--Soccer, Cross Country, Golf, Track, Tennis, Volleyball*,
Basketball, Swimming, and Softball.
*--indicates no equivalent sport on other side.

So...  If hockey is added, the split becomes 55-45, falling well within
the ratio of men-womens sports.  Thus, it fits in with the gender
equity ratio, and would draw enough popularity on campus to cover costs.
Looking at this, hockey becomes a very logical choice to add to the
Indiana University sports department.  I cannot see why not yet?????

The facilities already in place, they just need to be converted for
hockey.

******INDIANA UNIVERSITY HOOSIERS*****NCAA CHAMPS 1940 1953 1976 1981 1987*
Andrew C. Smith                                         Phone:812-857-1658
Willkie-South 220                            [log in to unmask]
Bloomington, IN  47406                      GO CUBS. WORLD CHAMPS 07 08 94
President--Hoosiers for Varsity Hockey-WE WANT HOCKEY NOW!-email for info.
********BOSTON BRUINS*********STANLEY CUP CHAMPS 1929 1939 1941 1970 1972**
If I'd have told you that Van Slyke was hitting only .238 with 2 homeruns
and 20 rbi's now, you'd swear I was drunk.
                                        --Harry Caray, 1991.