Sender:
From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 1994 08:28:00 PST
Michigan State head coach Ron Mason has been in the news recently.  First,
Mason is among a group on six that will be inducted to the Michigan (state
of, not University of) Sports Hall of Fame in 1994.  Mason is the winningest
coach in college hockey (Div I) history and guided MSU to a national
championship in 1986.

Next, regarding the Spartans 4-2 GLI loss to Michigan, Mason said...

  "This tournament has lost its luster.  It used to be the only time we came
to the Joe Louis Arena was this tournament.  But not anymore.  It isn't
special to us anymore.  But give Michigan credit.  They point to this and
take pride in winning here."

Hmmm.  I was under the impression that coaches took pride in winning, no
matter where it occurred.  I guess not.  Maybe someone should call Bob
Mancini at Michigan Tech and tell him not to worry about MTU's 3-2 OT loss
to the Spartans, because it didn't mean anything.  And since the GLI is
Tech's tourney (with Michigan the current co-host), why bother even inviting
MSU if Mason doesn't really give a damn?  Attendance will still be high with
MTU and UM.  Add two of the following: Bowling Green, Lake Superior,
Northern Michigan, Notre Dame -- it'll still be a great tournament.

While we're at it, someone should call Mason, who complained vehemently
about being snubbed for the NC$$ tourney last season, and remind him that
the reason MSU didn't get in was their 0-1-0 head-to-head record versus
Northern Michigan.  The Wildcats beat the Spartans at the GLI.

  John H
  U Mich

P.S.  Please don't perceive the above as an "anti-MSU" post.  It is intended
as a "why would someone in Mason's position say something that stupid" post.