From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 1993 13:12:00 PST
The ANN ARBOR NEWS article that I posted earlier has sparked discussion both
on and off the list...here are my comments/views:

  -- Since I've been at Michigan (1987), I've always perceived Coach
Berenson as being an extremely non-controversial coach.  He's certainly NOT
an animated bench coach.  He doesn't gyrate up and down screaming at
officials, generally making an ass of himself (Frank Anzalone comes to
mind...in fact, with my temperament this is probably the type of coach I
would be :-).  Off the ice, I rarely have heard a complaint or negative
comment from Red directed at another school.  This "rareness" is certainly
one of the two things that drew me to the article (the other being that is
was directed at the Badgers :-).
  -- Given the above, this simply may be a case blown out of proportion by
the AA News (as was suggested).  Personally, I like Dan Gretzner (the
reporter), but put yourself in his shoes.  He's the beat writer for a
prominent program, but isn't afforded the *luxury* of having a controversial
coach or even a highly quotable coach, such as a Ric Schafer, to provide him
material.  Coach Berenson goes about his business without fueling the media
fire.  A reporter might be tempted to take anything controversial and blow
it up, just because there is rarely an opportunity to do so.  For example,
some people may judge the term "blasts" in the title to be an exaggeration
of the comments.  I didn't hear the comments myself, but in my head I can
hear Red saying them...in the same tone of voice that he would say 'hello'.
 Again, I wasn't there, but I highly doubt that he was animated about it.
  -- (Side note...I know that there are a few Hockey-L subscribers that
routinely attend the radio show.  They could certainly speak to the actual
comments much better than I can.)
  -- As my point of view (did you honestly think a motormouth like me
wouldn't have an opinion :-), it's difficult to remain objective, but I'll
try.  First off, unlike at Yost where I can pick up on many of the on-ice
discussions (and occasionally participate in them), all three games with the
Badgers over the past three seasons have been played at a major venue where
I wasn't rink side, so I can't speak to the "trash talking."  Certainly, I
could speak with some of the UM players I know, but that would be a
one-sided story.  I'd like to hear from someone at UW (David, Mark, et al)
on what their views are, and if other clubs have pointed to the Badger's as
being trash talkers.  Personally, I view the Badgers as having an "above the
law" mentality.  'Hey, we can do anything we want, we're WISCONSIN.'
 (Mention the term "arrogant asses" and the Big Ten collectively looks to
Ann Arbor, who in turn looks to Madison...at least when it comes to hockey.)
 (With an occasional nod in the direction of East Lansing :-)
  -- Finally, it's always possible that UW has gotten to Red.  (When I say
"has gotten to", I'm implying that Coach Berenson's comments were probably
not a result of last Saturday's game...they may have been building up since
Albany in '92.)  I've been ripping the Badgers for some time...it has become
a GREAT rivalry, and it's going to get even bigger.  Let the recent record
show UW 2, UM 1.  I'd like nothing more than an opportunity to even that up
in the national championship game.

  John H
  U Mich
  For David, Mark, et al...
  Best Badger response from the Showcase:
  (as a UW player is being escorted to the penalty box)
  Michigan fans, "AHHHHHHHH...C-YA!!"
  Wisconsin fan, "In Pasadena!"