Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 1993 10:41:33 EST
Thursday night at Matthews, Northeastern out skated UNH to take their
record to 6-0.  The Huskies superior team work and creative attacks
left the Wildcats standing still.

Shelley Looney (Kim Drews, Missi Werner) opened the scoring with a
power play goal, when she knocked in a rebound off a shot from the
point.  Northeastern had come out fast and forced the situation.  NU
continued its attack when Looney (Kim Haman, Drews) put on a burst
of speed and blew by the New Hampshire defense before drilling in
a nice shot.  UNH got back in the game with a tremendous individual
effort by Amy McPhee.  The senior sensation started at her own blue
line and deked her way past three NU players and the goalie to score.
The Huskies then made it 3-1 when Haman (Looney, Kelly Tapani) back-
handed in the third rebound.  The score was set up by the speed the
line had as they broke in on UNH.

In the second period both teams took their games up a notch.  The
Wildcats tried to generate some offense, while Northeastern seemed
to be happy to sit on their lead.  Midway through the third period
the match changed as UNH made it 3-2 when Sue Merz (Kelley Roberts,
Heather Reinke) shot home a big rebound.  After that goal the UNH
supporters and I thought New Hampshire would ignite and tie up the
game.  Instead, Northeastern came alive when Jeanine Sobek (Danyel
Howard) finished off a scramble from a face-off with a backhander.
That was followed by Looney getting her third goal on a goalie error,
as the NU player's center from behind the net went in.

UNH did not have a good game.  Many times during the match I felt
like they were just running drills.  They also seemed very slow,
which is odd considering their excellent skating skills.  The final
period was their best, mainly because of individual players doing
their own thing.  They did not attack well as a team, and several
times their team defense fell apart.  The outstanding player last
night for UNH was Amy McPhee.  The senior defender was all over the
ice.  In fact she was their best attacker.  I thought Sherri Covell
played a strong match with her edgy skating.  Liz Neiley had some
good rushes.  The line of Merz, Annie Camins and Stephanie Knox
showed the most promise.  I have to believe this was an off night
for UNH.

Northeastern continued its brilliant team play.  The triangulation
offense gives them an edge to break open other team's defenses.  It
also gives the individuals on the lines chances to be creative.  I am
not sure why they decided to sit back on their lead for the second
period and the start of third, but when they needed to, they did turn
it on.  Shelley Looney was the outstanding player of the match.  Her
speed and attacking skills are great.  It is a real treat to watch
her play.  Her line: Tapani, Looney and Haman are playing extremely
well.  They use each other expertly.  Haman in particular is showing
good speed.  The line of Howard, Rayanne Conway and Sobek are also
playing well.  On defense, I thought Missi Werner had a strong game.
Her defense is always strong, and last night she carried the puck and
helped the attack too.  Bree Cheatham continues her stellar defensive
play.  I will have to say neither goalie played very well, giving up
big rebounds and in general not playing the angles well.  Ah, hope
for the rest of the ECAC?!

Overall, it was a brilliant match to watch.  This weekend NU and
Harvard travel down to Yale and Princeton.  Next Thursday night
at Matthews Arena, Providence College come to play Northeastern.
Yes!!!

/
 good shooting
 rhun