From:
R David Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Mar 1992 18:51:45 EST
I believe that it was the 1980 ECAC tourney that saw Cornell win its last 4(?)
games just to make the 8th and final playoff spot and then beat the first,
second, and third place teams in succession to win the title.  I believe that
this is probably the biggest argument against the single-elimination
quarterfinal round there is.  The two-game system was even worse.  The only way
to go is the best of three series in my opinion, and I think that whatever
reasons the ECAC has for not going to that should be worked around if they are
really interested in making the tournament fair.  Besides, it allows the
possibility for an extra game and more revenue.

--
Dave [log in to unmask]
Cornell '91 OSU Med '95