Sender:
From:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 1993 11:33:58 EST
> I honestly do feel bad, though, when someone brings young children
> into the student section and they have to listen to the language we use.
> Of course, I felt bad for the 12 year old OSU fan that sat next to me at
> the UM-OSU football game, too. Not only did he have to put up with our
> language, he couldn't see well because we stood the whole game.

For the last couple years, I've taken my nine-year old son to the Massachusetts
High School Championships, the semis and finals of which are held in the Boston
Garden.  They wisely separate the schools into the two opposing balconies and
the cheers are for the most part a lot of fun, even for unaligned parties like
my son and I.

I don't have a huge problem with profanity since I figure it's nothing my son
hasn't heard elsewhere (not that I'm in favor of it, though).  So, when the
side we were on decided to get on the other school's ringleader, an overweight
guy wearing a football jersey with the number fifty-one on it, by chanting,
"Fifty-one's a fat sh*t!" my son and I had a guilty laugh and that was it.
And when the other side, a public school, decided to get on our side, a private
all-boys school, by chanting, "We've got girls!" that was fun too.

I did have an awkward time of it, though, in the finals.  The star of the
other side's team was Shawn Bates, who eventually was drafted by the Bruins
in the fourth round.  I couldn't keep from laughing when our side began to
chant, "Master Bates!"

*****************************************************        ,-******-,
* Dave Hendrickson "Robo" [log in to unmask] *     *'     ##     '*
*        A Hockey Polygamist and Get-A-Lifer        *   *##   ___##___   ##*
* GO BROONS!!!      Go Red Wings!!     Go LA Kings! *  *   ##|   ___  \##   *
* GO UMASS-LOWELL!!!    Go Maine!!           Go BU! * *      |  |___)  |     *
* Although I can't remember ever having an original * *      |  |___)  |     *
* thought, and am certainly parroting someone who   *  *   ##|________/##   *
* actually has a brain, these opinions are mine,    *   *##      ##      ##*
* not Hewlett-Packard's.                            *     *,     ##     ,*