From:
Greg Berge <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 1993 11:52:33 -0500
------- Forwarded Message

Date: Sun, 7 Nov 93 22:29:35 EST
From: rick
To: greg
Subject: RPI Figures Out BU

Impressions of the November 6 Rensselaer/BU Game

When the Engineers hit the ice, a thunderous applause rose from the
Renssealer crowd, which drowned out surprised BU fans (including my
girlfriend). At least the fans showed heart. Would Rensselaer?

As the final score shows, Rensselaer really took it to BU (the Big Red
defeated the Terriers, 4-2) . A quote from the Globe had one BU player
saying "RPI wanted it more." Indeed they did.  From my vantage point,
every BU player was hassled. Towards the end, BU players were
displaying signs of frustration.

In my estimation (I watched these two teams play each other twice), BU
is normally the harder hitting team. But in this game, Rensselaer
showed a lot more agressiveness with their checks. Numerous squabbles
occured on the ice, as RPI seemed determined to be the intimidator.

BU had numerous chances (I didn't get the shots-on-goal count), but
Neil Little displayed extraordinary poise and confidence between the
pipes. At one point, it looked like Little stopped several point blank
shots in a row. He was unconcious.

Just as important, the Rensselaer offense produced and capitalized.
The forward lines seemed to figure out the BU defense. One goal (the
first, or second?) was an unassisted back hand by Regan (not sure)
coming down fast from the left wing. I know what the BU players were
thinking: Where the hell did he come from?

BU's offense, in turn, was clearly stymied by an RPI squad that
checked relentlessly (almost overzealously). BU was called for
off-sides a number of times, which didn't help either.

Rensselaer played superb hockey against BU. This is coach Buddy
Power's first win against his Alma Mater, and I hope this is the
awakening of a possible ECAC Champion.

Rick

------- End of Forwarded Message