Sender:
From:
"Dr. Tim Newman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 1995 15:05:10 -0500
Sean Pickett quotes and then responds:

>> The goalies that get into the NHL come out of the West.
> Besides [Joseph and Richter] what other WCHA (or CCHA) goalies have
> established themselves in the NHL?  What about all the great goalies
> in the CCHA ... that have not made it in the NHL? ... Steve Shields, Norm
> Foster....

> The fact is that very few goalies make it in the NHL period.

---------------------

Seems like Mike Liut had a pretty good run in the NHL.  Mike played
his college hockey back in the early-to-mid 70s at Bowling Green.
At one point he was the highest paid player in the NHL, I believe.

Bob Essensa is a pretty decent NHL goalie.  He played his college
hockey at Michigan State (he shared duties with Norm Foster).

Glen Healy has also been in a lot of NHL games.  Healy played college
hockey for Western Michigan.

I know there are other CCHA goalies who've done well in the NHL, but
these three were successful names that came to mind.  Over the last
8-10 years, I think you could name around a dozen CCHA goalies who have
played in at least one NHL game ... Ron Scott, Blaine Lacher, ..., etc.,  I'll
let Jeff Weiss fill in the other names if he likes (I know Jeff has the
names stored in his databanks at work - my materials are buried at
home :-( ).

If you want to go way back, you can add Dryden (Cornell) and
Esposito (Mich. Tech.) to the college greats who made it big in the NHL.

Tim Newman