From:
Joshua Atkins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joshua Atkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 1993 12:51:17 -0400
ANDREW WEISE <[log in to unmask]> writes

>Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't college hockey grown and become more
>popular because of the NC$$?
Yes it has.  People outside of what are generally termed 'hockey areas'

are hardly likely to know anything about the NHL much less college

hockey.

>I'm not defending the NC$$'s decision on Cal Ingraham (I also believe it was
>just a tad on the ridiculous side), but they have had a history of making
>such controversial decisions. For example, if there are any football fans who
>remember the Orange Bowl several years ago (I can't remember the year) where
>U of Oklahoma's Brian Bosworth was forced to sit out the game against the
>Miami Hurricanes may agree with me. Oklahoma lost their best player & a chance
>at the national championship because the NC$$ forced Bos to sit out the game
>due to I believe some drug-related thing.

                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Nevertheless, OU fans were outraged just as Maine fans are right now.

OU may have been just as outraged as Maine fans, but don't you think the

reasons are a bit different??  A transcript error probably made by the school
isn't even close to being in the same category as a drug offense. A player in

any sport who commits a drug offense SHOULD be punished by at the very

least sitting out of games.  I don't think, however, that  a player should sit because
of an error by their school.

>Andy Weise
>SUNY Potsdam  '93
>Union College '95?
>[log in to unmask]             Let's Go Tech!!!

Joshua Atkins
Allegheny College