From:
Patrick E Fleming <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Patrick E Fleming <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1993 11:05:45 EST
A little past time, but I thought I would make a few comments.

Great game!  I was very pleased at the outcome even if it was a little tense.
With Ohio State leading 2-1, a ten minute stoppage in play occured to fix a
broken plane of glass along the boards.  The result in the estimation of
Buckeye Coach Jerry Welsh, was that Ohio State's momentum was disrupted.  Notre
Dame scored off the ensuing face-off sending the game into evertime.  I don't
remember the overtime goal since I was jumping up and down before I really
realized why . . .

My congratulations go to Jerry Welsh for a fine promotional effort.  One would
think that Ohio State hockey would take off in Cowlumbus with the extrordinary
success and popularity of the ECHL franchise, the Columbus Chill.  But in these
times of financial troubles, the administration continues its lack of support.
I have always been very impressed with the fact that Jerry Welsh is able to put
a team on the ice year after year.  He does a fine job with what little he has
to work with.  An example of his efforts: Friday morning, he was on the radio
promoting the evening's game against Notre Dame at the Fairgrounds.  Put me in
the spirit all day.  The promotion drew 2,330 fans.  I expect a larger turnout
in January.  Right now, attentions in Cowlumbus seems to be focused on a
different team sport . . .

Speaking of which, I was talking with Ric Schafer after the game.  I asked him
what kind of support (financial, promotional, lip service . . .) the program
was getting from prominant alumni such as Dave Roulin.  Ric responded, "Well,
he sent us his Florida State tickets!"  Great - just when the team in in Ohio
all weekend . . .

     - Pat

- Dadgummit Blah! ----------------- Give me some words that I can dance to ---
- Department of Chemistry ------------------- Or a melody that rhymes --------