Date:
Fri, 5 Apr 91 10:24:52 +0900
Concerning Bill Fenwick's note on the Union/RPI game:

>> The first round game of the RPI Tournament will be counted as a league game.
>>The second round games will be non-league.

I would assume that the game goes into the league books as a tie if it
is decided beyond the fifth minute of o.t., and that's o.k. with me.

Is Union slated for a full 22 game ECAC schedule?  Is the conference
schedule set yet?  (And what are they going to do about the
Princeton-Yale pairing; play on Friday night and Sunday afternoon?)

O.K., on to the Ithacans...

1.  Despite not winning Anything, this was the best Cornell team I've
seen in my admittedly brief tenure among the Lynah Faithful  (since 81/82).

2.  The loss of East All-American defenseman Dan Ratushny, while not
unexpected, will still be - how shall I say it? - noticed.

3.  Call me the eternal optimist, but I don't share Arthur Mintz' and
Bill Fenwick's worries that the Red might be headed deep into the
second division, a la 87.  The heart of the squad is the blueline, and
though Bruce Frauley, Tim Vanini, and, possibly, Rat will depart, the
remainder of the corps (Dave Burke, Etienne Belzile, Paul Dukovac et
al.) is quite solid.

4.  Having said that, Kent Manderville's potential defection may be an
even greater cause for worry than Ratushny's since, coupled with the
graduation of HAD linemates Trent Andison (22-26-48) and Doug Derraugh
(30-36-66), it would be a serious blow to a less than robust offense.
Note: Andison and Derraugh both rank among the team's top five in
scoring over the past decade:

Cornell Career Scoring,  1981/2 - 1990/1

1.  Duanne Moeser  (81-96-177)
2.  Gary Cullen  (54-105-159)
3.  Derraugh (66-87-153)
4.  Joe (why can't the Flames beat the Oilers) Nieuwendyk (73-78-151)
5.  Andison (68-75-143)

But look at the players the rest of the ECAC is losing to graduation
alone!  How much worse must be the fears in Cambridge and Troy!

5.  Points 2 through 4 are likely moot if Parris Duffus isn't the
greatest thing since Doug Dadswell.  Is he?  Does anybody know?

Greg R. Berge
Cornellian in Exile
Boston, MA
Let's Go Red !