From:
"Brian Cavanaugh @ Koessler Athletics" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian Cavanaugh @ Koessler Athletics
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 1993 12:20:28 -0500
I find it interesting that when the numbers are NEEDED for
some quota schools such as Canisius College are included by
Division I folks...... BUT any other time we they would just
as well remind us that we are not eligible for any consideration.

If you want a TRUE picture of Division I teams:
1. Look at how many are eligible for a NCAA bid at D-I
   at the end of the year - ????? my guess 43.  That means
   a schools munt play , what 25 NCAA D- I games.  This throws
   out Canisius, Holy Cross, U. Conn, Fairfield, Iona, etc.

2. Those of us at those schools (who coach) know that we are
   NOT true D-I hockey schools. BUT... we coach at a Division
   I athletic department school, which means we ABIDE by D-I
   rules - including the taking of a certified EXAM each year.
   If you look at those schools you will seee some pattern -
   a basketball team that the school supports above many of
   the other sports - they make it a priority #1   !!!!!!

3. Now lets look at the other side - An NCAA D-III /II
   school that has hockey as its only D-I sport.
   Schools like RPI, St. Lawrence, Union, etc.  What sport
   at those schools gets the most administrative attention
   and financial support.   Hockey.  The sports other than
   hockey play a D-III schedule and live by D-III standards.

The NCAA the last few years has put in legislation that prevents
a BASKETBALL situation where a school can only have their
Basketball team at D-I and all other sports at D-III.  With
the money involved in basketball they wanted to prevent a
school from "stacking" resources into one team fr
for national attention, exposure, and $$$$$.

My "gut" feeling is that some of this exists in hockey
with the schools whose only program at D-I is their
hockey program.  How many (17) schools have hockey at
D-I BUT other sports are not.

These are opinions of mine - not the school I
represent.

Brian Cavanaugh
Head Coach
Canisius College