From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 1993 09:09:46 EDT
R David Smith said (in part)...
>Personally, I would think that just because of the nickname, this might keep
>him at Maine for the next three years.  I would want to remain a Black Bear as
>long as I could before having to become one of the Mighty Ducklings. :-)

   Actually, Anaheim was one of the top wishes for Paul.  Greater LA is
   a great place to market yourself and he will do that.  He is here at
   Maine for the next several weeks attending summer school.  He'll
   return home in August to discuss his options with his parents.  Paul
   says he will go with his gut feeling, but he doesn't have it sorted
   out just yet.

   A recent Bangor Daily News article says he may (as I recall)

      - sign with the M-Ducks.

      - attend Maine, participate in the Olympics with Canada & then
        sign.

      - or complete his schooling at Maine.

   The Ducks were quoted as saying they will support whatever Paul
   chooses to do.  Paul and the Disney chairman were quoted as saying
   (my paraphrase) that Paul's performance in the World Championships
   cemented their beliefs that Paul can play with the best in the world.

   Kariya was accompanied to the Draft event by Coach Walsh, Jim
   Montgomery, and room-mate Brad Purdie.

cheers,

Wayne Smith
The College Hockey Discussion List administrator
Systems Group - CAPS              BITNET/CREN:  wts@maine
University of Maine System        internet:     [log in to unmask]