From:
Jim Love <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 27 May 1993 17:27:14 -0400
Mike writes:
> 2) Shootouts...to me there are three chief areas of the game in
> hockey, defined by the three positions - offense, defense, and
> goaltending.  Sometimes they can overlap (and do with successful
> teams).  A shootout brings it down to 2 of those 3 to decide the
> game - why should defense be left out?

   One option that was suggested to me was a variation of the tie-
breaking procedure that the Yankee Conference used to (still ??)
use to break ties in football contests.  Start out with a 3 on 2
vs. the opposing goaltender in a single rush, each side getting an
opportunity to score.  If neither or both teams score, the next
round is a 2 on 1, each side again getting an opportunity to score.
If neither or both teams score yet again, then it's 1 on 0 (well,
vs. the goalkeeper) until someone scores without its being matched
by the opposing team.  I'm still opposed to settling ties in this
way (I'm firmly in Bill's camp to just let 'em play as many OTs as
it takes), but if I'm to be forced to watch a shoot-out, at least
this gets the defense involved in the outcome ....

Cheers from Maryland - Jim