From:
"Glenn W. Gale" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Glenn W. Gale
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 1994 15:58:11 -0500
Greg Berge writes...
>Cornell is already a man down when they are
>whistled for a delayed penalty during play, and
>Colgate scores before a stoppage.

>3 questions:

>1)  Who's in the penalty box after the play?
>2)  Who would have been, if this had occured last
>season?
>3)  Who would have been, if this had occured 10
>years ago?

>Hint: I think the answers to all three questions are
>different.

     Actually, this happened just last Friday in the Maine/Clarkson
game and I hadn't seen it before.  Clarkson was a man down and the
ref's arm went up for a delayed penalty against Clarkson.  Before a
Knight could touch the puck Maine scored again, with very little time
remaining in the first penalty.  I was assuming that the delayed penalty
would be cancelled (which would be the case if the two teams had been
at even strength) but instead they ended the penalty that was almost
over anyway, and gave Maine another full two-minute power play.  I
believe the Black Bears scored again on that one.
     I don't know how it would have been handled in past years.

Thanks,
-Glenn