From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1993 08:56:00 PST
Michael Collingridge writes...

>Yes, Michigan!'s PP has been pretty impressive and effective.
>I recall someone (John?) mentioning that Red was experimenting
>with a 5-forward PP because of the inexperienced (young) M defense.

Red has used a 5 forward system in the past years, but he does appear to be
going to it more often in 1993-94.  Steven Halko and Blake Sloan (both D)
are the pointmen on the second unit.  If I recall, I've also seen are #2
defensive pair of Tim Hogan and Harold Schock play periodically on the power
play.

And Mike called it right on.  To this point the #1 unit has been Brendan
Morrison centering Mike Knuble (RW) and Jason Botterill (LW) with Brian
Wiseman and David Oliver (one of the nation's leading goal scorers with 66
over the past two seasons) at the point.  Knuble and Botterill have been
feasting around the net.  This past weekend, Ryan Sittler rejoined the group
and contributed some big PP goals.  Kevin Hilton has also seen significant
action with the man advantage, and freshman Mike Legg has played his way
into the rotation.

Personally, I would like to see senior Mike Stone log some PP minutes.
 Stone is probably the hardest working, most efficient player on this team.
 He's the ultimate utility man, playing all forward positions well.  He
could add more hustle to the second unit with his tenacious effort.
 However, he is our premier penalty killer and doing PP & SH work as well as
taking a regular shift may be too much to ask.

>BTW, what's the status of Brian Wiseman (knee injury) for this weekend?

Haven't heard.

  John H
  U Mich