From:
Jayson Moy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jayson Moy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 1993 20:53:10 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask] writes:

>However, I'm wondering - was UMass EVER scheduled to play in the RPI
>Inv?  Lowell was apparently always scheduled, and maybe the Times
>Union (which apparently published some of the info Jayson drew from)
>was confused in thinking both UMass and Lowell would appear.  Later,
>we learned that the tourney wasn't on UMass's schedule while it was
>still on Lowell's (and the HE composite), so maybe UMass never really
>planned to play in it (and thus never "withdrew").  Possibly they were
>just rumored to be taking part but it never came about.  Anyone know?
>---
>Mike Machnik           [log in to unmask]    [log in to unmask]
>Cabletron Systems, Inc.                                  *HMN* 11/13/93

I think you can all blame me for this one in a way. When I first got the
tenattive schedule from someone in Sports Info, the schedule had on it
RPI Invitational listing the 4 schools, RPI, Lowell, Amherst and Army.
Right after I got this, I ran into Tim Leonard, who writes for the Troy
Record, and covers RPI hockey for them. He had previously written an article
for his paper that blasted the tournament and it's sad state of affairs,
and the participants.  I asked him, where he got the info from and he
tols me he made a few calls to some schools and received his info.

So in this case, there were 2 confirming sources that said these were the
schools on the list. One was Sports Info here at RPI, and the other was
Tim Leonard who published his story after making phone calls to the respective
schools.

What happened after this I do not know.  Sports Info told me that Lowell had
dropped out because of the fact that they were to play Army, who is a
non-conference DI school. Then Sports info publicly released the schedule in
warly June, and showed that Amherst was not on the list, but Lowell still
was and Mount Alison took their place. I do not know what happened in there
to create this change.

*  Jayson Moy                   * One of the Voices of Rensselaer Engineer    *
*  [log in to unmask]                 * Hockey on 91.5FM  WRPI, Troy                *
*                               * And Rensselaer Baseball, and also this Fall *
*                               * Rensselaer Football                         *