From:
Tom Tseng <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Tseng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 May 1993 09:47:59 -0500
 Re>Hockey, 90210
Mike Machnik, you should watch a better show, like "Melrose Place," instead.
:-)  All kidding asides, that was a very interesting and entertaining posting
about Jason Priestly and his ice skating/hockey history.

I don't have any information on if Priestly played hockey at Notre Dame or not.
 However, I recall a "Saturday Night Live" episode in February, 1992, which
Jason Priestly hosted.  That show was aired during the Winter Olympics.  The
opening skit made fun of the man's figure skating competition, with Phil
Hartman playing Pat Summerall, Dana Carvey as skater/commentator Scott
Hamilton, and Jason Priestly, in an aqua chiffon skating outfit.  The joke was
that Priestly kept attempting to do the jumps and failed, falling on the ice
repeatedly, while Dana Carvey and Phil Hartman going "aaaaah" every time
Priestly fell.  Finally, the judegs gave him mostly zero or 0.5 for scores.  It
was a very hilarious skit.  I always wondered if Jason Priestly actually skated
for that skit, because there were shots that had me convinced that he DID his
own skating.

So, perhaps Priestly was a decent figure skater, and an intramural ice hockey
player.  When he said "playing hockey," he might have meant playing hockey for
fun, and not as a JV or varsity player for a school.  Kind of like another SNL
actor, Mike Meyer (Wayne), who is a hockey-nut (he wore a Toronto Maple Leaf
jersey to "Late Night with David Letterman" recently) in real life, but may not
have played competitively.

I hate summer re-runs.  Tom Y. Tseng