From:
Greg Berge <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 5 May 1993 11:32:20 -0400
I read that UVM will be hosting its own tournament. A couple
questions:

1.  Does this mean the Auld Lang Syne is dead?

2.  Cornell has never had its own tournament, at least to my
knowledge. Has it ever considered starting one?

3.  Why did UVM decide to start one? I can't believe they make
money on the deal, so the only other reason is program visibility,
and again I'd think it's a dubious benefit.

(The Beanpot is different, of course, because of the cut-throat
rivalry between the four programs. But it's about the only one I've
seen that really works.)

Here's a concept that might fly: an Ivy Tournament. The host and
the defending champion get first round byes, the tourny goes three
days. And it's all for the Greater Glory of the Ivies, and might even
strengthen the Ivy rivalries (which, with the exception of
Harvard-anybody, amount to nothing these days.)

Greg
Somerville
Let's Go Red!
Let's Go Islanders!
(21 games? Well, maybe - if it was the next 21 games against the
Isles.)