From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jan 1993 01:53:48 EST
Greg made reference to the Vermont media guide containing a record of 90
saves in a single game.  According to the 1992-93 Vermont guide, on
2/12/72, Vermont had 106 shots on goal in a 16-2 win over UConn.  However,
although 90 saves were made in the game, UConn used two goalies; it is not
noted how many saves each goalie made.  The 106 shots is the most I have
seen, although I seem to recall having seen boxscores where some teams
approached this mark or perhaps topped it in recent years when some of the
DivIII teams were beating up on SUNY-Binghamton or other weak teams.  Also,
as Greg said, Vermont was in DivII then.  It is interesting to note that in
Vermont's first season in DivI, 1974-75, the Catamounts went 24-12-0 overall
and 12-5-0 in the ECAC, and they finished third in both the regular season
and ECAC tourney.

As far as fewest saves, the record is held by Dan Hornstein of Providence,
who made 4 saves in a 20-0 win over Rutgers on 11/29/61.  There are many
instances of teams having 0 shots on goal in a period.  Rutgers' 4 shots on
goal in that game is the fewest I have come across in any division.

BTW, that season (1961-62) was the inaugural ECAC season but Rutgers was not
a member; other members included Colby, Williams, MIT, Merrimack, Middlebury,
Bowdoin, UMass, Norwich, UConn, AIC, Hamilton, and Amherst.  Those teams
left by 1964-65 and most joined either the ECAC East or West; I believe
that was the year a "college division" was formed in NC$$ hockey with the
college division later becoming Divisions II and III.  Also BTW, Colby
received a third seed in that first ECAC tourney and defeated RPI 7-6 in
the quarterfinals before losing the semi to Clarkson, 4-1, and the
consolation to Harvard, 2-0.  No other current DivII or III teams have ever
competed in the ECAC tourney.

Any school want to start a history major with concentration in college
hockey? :-)
---
Mike Machnik    [log in to unmask]   Color Voice of the Merrimack Warriors
(Any opinions expressed above are strictly those of the poster.)    *HMN*