From:
Jeff Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Apr 1992 09:14:11 -0400
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject:      Grad Assistants
> To: Multiple recipients of list HOCKEY-L <HOCKEY-L@maine>
>
> Help me out here folks!  My wife (who I'm convinced picks up more hockey
> rumors than most of us on the list combined, save Mike M.) had lunch with
> Michigan's Grad Assistant Kent Brothers yesterday.  Kent is unsure if
> he'll be at UofM next season, but he most certainly will not be with the
> team.  He said that the NC$$ has eliminated grad assistants from the
> hockey programs!  Have I missed this?  Say it isn't so.
>
> John H
> U Mich

My understanding is that new rules specify only one fulltime Assistant
plus up to two parttime coaches - with parttime defined as a limit of
$12000 salary. This is a very small staff for teaching (yes that's part
of what college hockey is about) and planning for a major sport with 30
players. Recruiting will also be affected - I think most schools use one
fulltime coach for mostly recruiting. I don't think this is a good idea
but a proposal to keep two fulltime assistants was defeated at the NCAA
convention.
As for using graduate assistants - This is an excellent opportunity for
coaching experience while getting a Master's degree.

Jeff E. Lewis