From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Apr 1992 22:48:38 EDT
So, what do college hockey-types do in the off-season?  Why, they start rumors,
of course!

Anyway, the Boston Garden Hockeyfest contract with the ECAC and Hockey East has
expired, and although the Gahden is reportedly holding the dates open for Hoc-
keyfest '93, the ECAC might possibly move their Phinal Phour to a "more central
location" (famous last words), such as Albany's Knickerbocker Arena.  (I men-
tioned this half-jokingly a few weeks ago, but it appears that the rumors are
indeed starting to fly)  It is thought that if the ECAC does pull out, Hockey
East might opt for a return to campus sites for their postseason tournament.
Note that there hasn't been anything published, to my knowledge, that would
support this rumor.

I seriously doubt that either of the above scenarios will happen.  For one
thing, the ECAC has been holding its tournament at the Gahden for the last 26
years, central location be damned (although it was a lot more central before
Hockey East was formed).  Hockeyfest '92 seemed like it was a pretty success-
ful affair, and an ECAC pullout would probably renew the bitter rivalry
between the two leagues that at this point seems to be dying down.  If there
isn't some sort of monetary problem that we don't know about (always a possi-
bility), I'd expect the Hockeyfest format to continue.
--
Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86 and probably '94