From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 1992 16:16:58 EST
Wednesday night, the US Olympic Team defeated Sweden, the defending world
champion and favorite of many people to win the gold in Albertville, by
a score of 3-2.  Joe Sacco scored twice.

USA has won six of its last seven games, all against international competition
I believe...the red, white and blue opens up Sunday afternoon on national tv.
Pick up today's (Fri Feb 7) USA Today for a Winter Olympic preview that
includes capsules on every US athlete - hockey as well.

The final defenseman cut from the team was apparently Dan Keczmer, which
surprised me.  I thought he was USA's best defenseman.  Either that's why I
am not coaching the team, or we will find out that maybe I *should* have
coached the team. :-)  Hedican, Lachance and Tretowicz are the only Ds
remaining with the team who were there from the start.  USA's oldest (Moe
Mantha, 31) and youngest (Lachance, 19; G Mike Dunham is also 19) players
are defensemen.

This will actually be a first for HOCKEY-L.  It's the first Winter Olympics
that has been played during the list's existence (nee Sept 89).  A lot of
the guys we have talked about here in the past 2.5 years will be going for
the gold starting in two days.  Good luck to all of them, whichever country
they play for.

- mike

PS Boston just traded Janney & Stephane Quintal to St Louis for Adam Oates,
   giving the Bruins the top two (likely) centers ever to play for RPI in
   Oates and Juneau.