From:
Garrett Lanzy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Garrett Lanzy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jun 1998 23:11:45 -0400
Wayne posted lots of info from NCAA News on INFO-HOCKEY-L...
and I have a few comments.

>(2) Calendar -- July 7-10 Division I Men's Ice Hockey Committee
>    Monterey, California.

Rough life for the committee members.  Shouldn't they be meeting
somewhere like southern Australia where it might be cold enough to
play hockey now?  Oh wait, someone's still playing hockey in Detroit and
Washington this week!  :-)

>(8) Ice Hockey
>    NCAA National Coordinator of Ice Hockey Officials.  [position description
>    deleted]

The neglected to mention that masochistic tendencies are a required
prerequisite.  This has to be about the most thankless job around, since
the person holding it is NEVER going to satisfy everyone.

On the other hand, the right person in this position could result in much
greater consistency in reffing -- IF the NCAA and the leagues will stand
behind their decisions.

>(9) Ice hockey rules group focuses on player safety, protective
>    equipment
> [...]
>    Of primary concern for the committee is the apparent increase in the
>    number of stick-related injuries and penalties, specifically
>    high-sticking, cross-checking and slashing.
>
>    No tolerance
>
>    Citing data from the Division I penalty analysis information, which
>    indicates that high-sticking, cross-checking and slashing account
>    for 20 percent of all penalties, the committee was adamant in its
>    position that stick-related penalties must be treated with zero
>    tolerance by officials and coaches.

I couldn't agree more.  However, this isn't going to happen unless and
until the NCAA gets virually 100% buy-in from the leagues, the league
refs, and the coaches.  I think we all know how successful the "points of
emphasis" have been in previous years -- by the time the holiday
tournaments roll around, nobody seems to be paying attention anymore.

> [...]
>    Men's Ice Hockey Rules Committee May 12-15/Indianapolis
> [...]
>    0 Determined that light-colored jerseys may be worn by the visiting
>    team only when teams have agreed before the season.  (Rule 2-1-b)

What about NCAA tournament games?  I would think they would have
written any new rule to take into account situations like the Michigan
jersey "controversy" at this year's Phrozen Phour, where an agreement
was made to allow Michigan to use jerseys which were technically
the "wrong" color.  Or was this a round-about way of preventing this
situation from happening again?  (Well, I suppose the Michigan AD
could go and get agreements a year in advance from each of the
other Div. 1 teams *just in case*.)

> [...]
>    0 Determined that in the three-man officiating system (one referee,
>    two assistant referees), the referee shall face off the puck at the
>    center ice face spot only at the start of the game.  (Rule 5-3-b)

Why just the beginning of the game, and not the beginning of the
other periods?  I guess I don't understand the rationale for this one.

>    0 Determined that the linesman's duties shall include stopping play
>    to report a goal not observed by the referee.  (Rule 5-5-c)

What's a "linesman"?  :-)  Seriously, this looks like a good change.

>    0 Determined that an altercation is concluded when the referee
>    enters the referee's crease or, in the absence of penalties, signals
>    a face-off location (Rule 6-14-e)

So a fight will magically end when the referee enters the ref's crease?  :-)
I know what they mean, but their wording is somewhat humorous.

Oh well, enough idle off-season speculation for one night.  Is it October
yet?

Garrett