From:
Brian M Cavanaugh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian M Cavanaugh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jun 1998 14:35:50 EDT
I have read both Craig Roberts and Mike Machnik reports
on teams "moving up" and new leagues forming and I commend
them for both insight and interest in this topic. They have
summarized the issue beautifully.

Here's another reason for the new MAAC concept and why a school
like Canisius College is interested in the concept - even though
it will quadruple our traveling expenses.
NCAA I schools like Canisius, Holy Cross, UCONN
who have been NCAA I schools for a long time and who have had
hockey teams (playing in / at various ECAC leagues) have to
abide by all NCAA I rules for recruiting, transfer, clearinghuse,
etc.  Each staff member ( a limit there too) ewho recruits has to
pass the coaching certification test - each year.  Its these "little
things" that become big things when totaled up.  NCAA III schools
do not follow these guidelines.

Also - when playing in the ECAC West or East or N/C/S - you have
limits on starting dates - # of games - how you can financially
package players.  These too are restrictive and meant for NCAA III
schools.

In essence, an NCAA I school gets "hit" from each end and you begin
to get a feeling that you don't fit in.  The new MAAC league gives us
that  indentiy so desperately  needed - for our "student-athlete's.
Now we can have a league that will act for us with regard to
All Stars, Academic All Americans, weekly honors, etc.
We can play more games, start sooner and who knows - eventually
be considered for a national championship.

Its very difficult for teams to join an "established" conference in
NCAA I hockey - look at what Niagara has/is planning and the costs
New rink  7 million and now after 3 years expansion - additional 3-5
million.  Scholarships - 18 max  X 20,000 =  360, 000.00. If they
go the full route as CCHA schools do.  Staff costs 150 -200 thousand
for head coach, assts, etc.  recruiting budget - you name it.
Travel costs - what league. fly or bus.

Schools who stil want hockey - like us at Canisius now have a place
to hang our hats and can start the next process of upgrading
and hoping that the Administration will make the next move and build
us a brand new facility.

There's a lot more - for another time.

Brian Cavanaugh
Canisius College