From:
Adam Wodon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Adam Wodon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Mar 1998 10:10:20 -0600
>>Well. .... Congrats to Keith Instone, who was right on the money ...
You
>>see everyone --- so "Cut and Dried" that the selections and seedings
>>were known as soon the games ended.  Does this make believers out of
the
>>few remaining holdouts?
>
>Sure it was "cut and dried" AFTER the games.

Obviously ... no one is picking seeds before the games.

>But note that both BU and BC
>ended up with the byes, and top-seeds BU and MSU have a strong
possibility
>of facing conference foes (UNH and OSU) in the regional finals.
>
>My impression (read: I COULD BE WRONG) was that it was also "cut and
dried"
>that the committee would make sure to eliminate same-conference
matchups...

>I guess not.

Not if they have to go so far out of the way as to change the region of
two teams.

>Why wasn't UNH sent out west? Anyone? Anyone? I'm guessing the
committee
>felt that they "deserved" (based on the numbers) to stay in the East...
but
>it seems to me that Yale "deserved" it more, having a better win%,
winning
>their regular season and making their conference semis (as compared to
>being swept in the first round). If there was any other reason it would
be
>to avoid a BU-UNH or BC-UNH matchup.

UNH won the comparison with Yale ... thus they stay East .... not to
mention the attendance factor.

>In the past we've seen #3 and #4 ranked teams sent to the opposite
coast in
>an attempt to avoid the same-conference matchups -- in fact, isn't that
>what happened this year, in honoring Wisconsin with the #4 East seed?

No ...

Wisconsin was #5 in the West ... CC was #6 .... they were sent East, as
per protocol ... but Wisconsin actually beat UNH on the comparison, so
they were switched ahead of UNH ...

>Maybe it's just me, but being the #1 East seed didn't do BU much good
when
>it came to it's position in the brackets. Yeah, I know "it really
doesn't
>matter who you play at this time of year, you'd have to beat them
anyway"
>but really -- it seems to me that playing the Wisconsin or UNH is a
much
>tougher route than winning the Clarkson-Colorado College victor.

Not according to the numbers, which is all that matters ... you're
OPINION may be valid and/or correct ... but it's irrelevant.

Do you want the committee having these sorts of opinions weigh into it?
I'm sure not when it would hurt your team.

>All in all, I gotta say, it doesn't seem that "cut and dried" to me.

This was about as cut and dried as you can ever get.  It probably took
the committee 10 minutes -- plus some time as they sat around going "Was
it really this easy? Let's do it again"

AW