From:
"Kenneth M. Baker" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kenneth M. Baker
Date:
Mon, 10 Feb 1997 21:03:53 -0500
Michigan State 2  Michigan 1

I agree with almost everyone's comments made previously.

One Statistical Correction:  The largest crowd to watch a college game was
the 1995 game at the Palace of Auburn Hills between Michigan and Notre Dame.
The game in 1994 between those very same teams at the very same site broke
the 1984 record at the Joe.

First of all, I want to congratulate Michigan State on succeeding to ruin
Wolverine Weekend like we did to them last year to Spartan Weekend.  This
was the best I have seen Michigan State look since the Michigan-MSU game in
1994 at Joe Louis.  Michigan was not the same team after that game for the
rest of that year although they did win the CCHA Regular Season and Playoff
Championship.  They did it all with defense.  I would credit the defense
with the victory much more than I would Chad Alban.  Yes, Alban played well;
but he was not the difference.  The difference was Tyler Harlton and the
rest of the MSU defense protecting their goalie better than Michigan's
defense did Turco.  You could look no further than the penalty killing
performances.  MSU got one third of its shots on the power play; but thanks
to Turco only scored once.  Michigan could never take control on the power
play all game long.  They threatened only once on a power play; then MSU
prevented them from any rebounds.  Ron Mason proved he is still a college
hockey coaching legend as other potential Michigan opponents will be quick
to study the film from this game.  This could be the turning point of the
season for them only this time, this could be a turn for the good.  They may
now make the NCAA and be a serious threat to Michigan.

On the other hand, Michigan played its worst game of the season; and would
have been blown out soundly if not for Marty Turco.  Two main reasons:
Motivation and Coaching  How can you not be motivated to play your state
rival in front of 20,000 fans and a national television audience at the Joe
Louis Arena?  How could you not realize that this was the rubber game of the
season series?  Why do you even bother to wear maize jerseys if you do not
treat this game as a big game?  Why would you want to juggle around your
lines and your special team units?  (For example, Bobby Hayes on a power
play?  He seemed useless.  He did nothing whatsoever.  No, I am not singling
him out; but I would have definitely played my next best OFFENSIVE forward.
Very bad coaching decision in my opinion.)  The time to juggle around should
have been this coming week against Notre Dame.  Simply, what was Michigan
thinking?  Marty Turco was the only player that came to perform.  He looked
great.  Cannot fault him for either goal.  Bad luck on the first goal by
State.  The second goal cannot be helped either.  Frustration penalty by
Sean Ritchlin after the first goal easily led to Tony Tuzzolino's (my #1
star of the game) game winning goal.  The game could have easily been 6-1
but Turco gave us a shot right to the very end.  Yes, Turco made this game a
dramatic one to watch.  Yes, this is only Michigan's second loss of the
season, the first since a 20+ game unbeaten streak.  Yes, this is still the
consensus #1 team in the nation.  Yes, anything can happen on any given day
in the CCHA.  Yes, Michigan is expected to lose a game or two down the road.
Yes, Michigan should not be too concerned.  Yes, as a Michigan fan I would
rather lose at Joe Louis than Grand Rapids or Milwaukee.  But, there are no
excuses for this performance.  I feel almost the same as I did last year
after being swept by the Lakers at the Soo to be honest.  Yes, this may not
be as bad to most Michigan fans as that sweep at the Soo; but in recent
history, the team that has lost this game has never been able to bounce back
fully despite winning a big game or two.  In 1994, Michigan went on to get
swept at Miami and lose at home to Ferris.  They did come back to win the
CCHA Playoffs but just were not the team they were earlier in the season.
In 1996, MSU simply struggled the rest of the way and won just one game
(Ferris); and barely won their first round series to even get to the Joe.
Hopefully for Michigan, history does not repeat itself.  The key words:
Defending National Champions.  Just as Michigan overcome a disastrous
weekend at the Soo to win a national championship,  Michigan should be able
to overcome a disappointing MSU loss to repeat the feat.  I definitely may
have overexaggerated what happened at the Joe; and may have offended fellow
Michigan fans.  I will definitely apologize publicly right now if I have.
But this is MY opinion, not any other Michigan fan's or the University of
Michigan's.  I would definitely be concerned after this coming weekend if
Michigan continues what hopefully started and ended Saturday.  Let this
truly be a wake-up call to this Michigan team.  I would want to stay away
from Michigan practices this week for sure.  Maybe losing to their biggest
rival can determine them to win a greater prize:  A record 9th National
Championship.  May Michigan fans keep their fingers crossed.

Kenneth M. Baker
University of Michigan '96
E-mail:  [log in to unmask]