From:
Chris Heisenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 30 Jan 1997 19:43:51 -0500
The rule prohibiting players with major junior experience only originated in
1981.  Prior to that, a number of players who had played a year or two of
major junior (All-Americans Ron Scott, Cornwall/Mich. St., Gary Haight,
Seattle/Mich.St., and Gates Orlando, Montreal/Providence to name a few) were
allowed to play  under NCAA rules.  What precipitated the change appears to
have been the NHL practice of drafting under-age junior players, which began
in 1979.  With that practice, teams would draft and sign players, but return
them back to junior.  I guess the NCAA thought that this "contaminated" the
other players on the teams.  I fail to see how, but thats what they ruled.
 Its sad, because players who realize after a year or two of major junior
that they (1) won't be "sure" pros, or (2) that they want a real education,
and don't want to ride the bus through the ends of the earth, are left with
no option but to go to Canadian Universities, which, I believe, do not offer
scholarships.  I say, drop the NCAA ban.