From:
Arthur Berman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 1996 15:58:51 -0600
On Wed, 31 Jul 1996, J. Michael Jackson wrote:

> Simply put, it's much easier for the NCAA to punish the institution.  They
> got so badly burned in their attempts to sanction Jerry Tarkanian for the
> basketball program he ran at UNLV that I would be very surprised to see them
> try it again.  I believe they eventually won in court, but the whole thing
> was just a nightmare.  I would guess that they'll now go after schools and
> hope that the schools take on the coaches involved.

I feel a great sense of sadness for the players who will have to live
with the results of poor management and direction, and this buck should
rest on Walsh's desk.  This is one BU fan who feels no desire to
gloat--college sports should be, but too often are not, about character
building and healthy competition.  As the Olympic$ are happening it just
seems like another depressing development.  On topic here-an indication
for me of whether Maine "gets it" will be whether Walsh returns.

Arthur Berman [log in to unmask]