From:
Frank Mazzocco <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Frank Mazzocco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jul 1996 09:58:59 EDT
I should know better than to jump into this mess, but some of what I've read
here is outrageous.

On Fri. 26 Jul 1996, Josh Kleinbaum, wrote:
>>It's all a matter of perspective.  Instead of seeing the name as insulting,
the Miami tribe should see it as an honor.<<

An honor? Someone please tell me, what is so honorable about being called a
Redskin? If that's an honor, why don't we name name teams Kikes, Wops, Frogs or
Schwarzas. If we're going to honor an ethic group then let's *honor* it. Not
slam it (Redskins) or ridicule it (Chief Yahoo).

What indignity is the school, its students or alum suffering by changing a
nickname? What dignity does one loose by treating others with civility? What
dignity does one *gain* by treating others with civility?  And, who are we to
tell a people how they should feel?

>>At 10:19 AM -0400 7/25/96, D.B. Erickson wrote:
>The question is, how much should colleges allow themselves to be dictated
>to by special interest groups.

We are not talking about an organization like national tobacco lobby or the
Civil Liberties Union, or the National Endowment for the Arts. We are talking
about individual human beings -- living bodies -- who deserve better than be
verbally spat upon.

Will we ever get it that this planet is going to be better off when we treat
others with respect?

Frank Mazzocco