From:
Ralph Slate <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ralph Slate <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 May 1996 14:46:36 GMT
In article <Pine.SOL.3.91.960430104552.7833A-100000@merlin>,
   [log in to unmask] (Paul S. Williford) wrote:
>Hi --
>
>I am a librarian who was recently asked by a library patron about a
>Falcons hockey team which played during the 1945-46 season.  It seems she
>has three autographed black-and-white photographs of players in Falcons
>hockey uniforms (at least one of them holding a Northland hockey stick).
>According to their signatures, these players are Jimmy Wilson, Hank
>D'Amore and George Kelly.  Jimmy Wilson's number ends in a 6 -- she
>doesn't know if it's just 6 or 16, 26, etc.  One of them has written
>"45-46" next to his name, which makes her think these were from the
>1945-46 season.

The picture is of the Fresno Falcons of the Pacific Coast Hockey League, a
semi-pro league which evolved into the Western Hockey League in the early
50's. I have the 1946-47 stats for the league, and Hank D'Amore is listed as
having played for the Falcons that year.

I don't believe that the photo is from 45-46 though; the Falcons' first season
in the PCHL was 1946-47. I will be able to check this more when I get home.

Ralph

Check out my minor league hockey card page at
      http://www.rpi.edu/~slater/