From:
Donovan DeJong <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Donovan DeJong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Mar 1996 10:15:19 -0600
J Michael Jackson wrote:

>Minnesota vs. Providence
>
>As a Gopher fan, I'm holding my breath on this one.  Providence sounds like
>exactly the kind of team that could give them fits if they haven't tightened
>up their play quite a bit.

I agree-if Providence slows things down and doesn't allow Minn to skate
there will be trouble, speaking of which:

>I'll disgree with Lee Urton on one thing; those reading my posts will
>remember that I have been quite critical of Dan Trebil's defensive play.  In
>one respect, he does play like a man his size: he's quite slow.  Combine that
>with a lack of physical play and every lapse with the puck gets magnified.
> Mike Crowley has spent a lot of time plugging the leaks.  When it clicks,
>Trebil's passing is a wonderful sight to behold, but at least once a game it
>doesn't click.  After two weeks off, i'm worried about how sharp the passing
>will be, not just from Trebs, but from a lot of others.

My housemate who really new little to nothing about hockey 7 months ago
now has can define a hat trick, PPG, and knows that when I start yelling
at the TV while watching a Gophs game it's probably becuase Mr. Trebil
has just muffed catching a pass or such and the opposing team has
obligingly scored on the ensuing breakaway.  While Trebil's shot from the
point may be respectable it does not make up for what I consider his
poor puck-handling play/speed the other 99% of the time he's on the ice.
I think his best quality may be his leadership which is necessary in
a team but I do not believe he is as good as some credit him to be.

Re: K. Power's mascot predications

Anyone notice that using the mascots to determine winners picks the
underdog (lower seeded team) in all but one game (semi-final between
Mich State and Cornell)?

Donovan

Donovan DeJong
Dept. of Biology, Augustana College