John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 1996 13:15:32 EST
Dave Hendrickson writes:

> I would argue that Wins and Losses as well as GAA are totally meaningless in
> terms of comparing goalies, while save percentage is merely partially
> meaningful.  The first two categories are dominated by how good of a team is
> in front of a goalie.  A goalie on a dominating team is going to see, on the
> average, far fewer shots and typically lower quality shots than one on a
> lesser team.  With fewer shots the GAA *has* to be lower on a high quality
> team.

I remember this argument from last year. (Probably because I started it.
:-) ) Does anyone have total shots and goals figures for the UML and BU
goalies? I remember last year at about this time, that BU's goalies were
facing only about 18 shots per game, while everyone else in the league
was in the 20s.

As for the team-related nature of them, that is true of any stat in
hockey. Neither players nor goalies can be divorced from their teams.
Exhibit #1 is Kevin Stevens.

See you later,
John

--
John Edwards       Stats Geek, Ottawa Senators Jr. A Hockey Club (25-14-2)
Email: [log in to unmask]    URL: http://chat.carleton.ca/~jedwards