From:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Dec 1995 14:10:04 EST
Why is it that the one word which comes to mind is... "Nixonian"?

Let me explain.

I've considered myself to be a strong Shawn Walsh supporter.  I've felt that he
was good for college hockey, a very charismatic ambassador for the game.  And
I've felt that some past criticisms of him were unfair and merely because of
his preeminent stature.

When he took his previous suspension (one-month, I believe) for the Jeff Tory
situation, I consistently argued that out of the three violations that had been
identified, as much as people wanted to hang all three around his neck, only
one of the "necklaces" fit.  And that he had done his penance and those who
hated Walsh would have to look elsewhere for ammunition for their barrages.

Now this.

Taking money from boosters during his previous suspension, despite knowing that
that was prohibited?  Talking (either himself or his attorneys) to interviewees
beforehand after being verbally and in writing warned not to do so?

I could rationalize previous offenses as being ones primarily of ommission.

These new offenses would seem to be conscious acts in direct defiance of the
rules.  Conscious acts designed to avoid full punishment (taking money during
the suspension) and conscious acts to... well... what were he and his attorney
doing talking to people they had no buisness talking to?

Nixonian.

Yes, I applaud Maine for taking dramatic action.  No, I'm not saying that
Walsh should never be allowed to return.  But he'll never again be the Mr.
Charisma of College Hockey in my eyes.

Bah humbug.

*****************************************************        ,-******-,
* Dave Hendrickson    "Robo"     [log in to unmask] *     *'     ##     '*
*        A Hockey Polygamist and Get-A-Lifer        *   *##   ___##___   ##*
* GO BROONS!!!      Go Red Wings!!      Go Canucks! *  *   ##|   ___  \##   *
* GO UMASS-LOWELL!!!      Go BU!!         Go Maine! * *      |  |___)  |     *
* Although I can't remember ever having an original * *      |  |___)  |     *
* thought, and am certainly parroting someone who   *  *   ##|________/##   *
* actually has a brain, these opinions are mine,    *   *##      ##      ##*
* not Hewlett-Packard's.                            *     *,     ##     ,*