From:
Carol S White <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carol S White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Feb 1995 08:34:24 CST
Headline: Moen crashes Tech's carnival
Publish Date: 02/07/1995
Matthew Cross
Staff Reporter

It's been a roller-coaster season for Gophers backup goaltender Jeff
Moen, but after earning Winter Carnival MVP honors for his
performance at Michigan Tech this weekend, he has regained his
confidence.

Moen split time last season with Jeff Callinan, but he was demoted to
backup at the beginning of this season.

As his playing time dwindled, so did his confidence and
effectiveness.

Moen has played in only four games this season, and before his start
Saturday, he had the worst goals-against average in the WCHA and an
0-3 record.

Moen's woes on the ice turned into uncertainty about his future, so
he had a meeting with coach Doug Woog.

``It's the last part of the season, and I wanted to know where I
stand on the team,'' Moen said.

Woog expressed to Moen that he was still a big part of the team, but
with Callinan the top-rated goaltender in the conference, Woog felt
no reason to change a good thing.

However, when Callinan faltered  Friday -- he allowed two goals on
three shots in the second period in a 3-3 tie -- Moen got the nod
Saturday.

That was Moen's first action since he played about half of an
exhibition game against the Swedish Select team on Dec. 28.
``I felt really good about the Swedish game and I've been itching to
get in there ever since,'' Moen said.

And he took his opportunity and ran with it, making 23 saves and
giving up only one goal in the 60 minutes of regulation time.

And an MVP trophy never felt so good for Moen, who proved to his
teammates that he can still play well.

Mancini's nose is growing
**************************
Before the Gophers hockey series at Michigan Tech started this
weekend, Huskies coach Bob Mancini said his team didn't play a rough
style of game.

``I wouldn't say that we're a physical-style team,'' Mancini said.
``We don't try to slow the tempo either. We are penalized a lot, but
I think that's because we're a young team.''

Judging by the style of play that fans witnessed last weekend,
Mancini probably lied.

With an aggressive checking game that has been unmatched even by the
self-proclaimed tough guys at Northern Michigan, the Huskies forced a
series of Gophers retaliations.

Twice during the weekend, the teams got in fights after Michigan Tech
players ran into the Gophers' goaltender.

On those two separate occasions, 145 minutes in penalties were given
out between both teams.

Injuries, DQs will hurt
************************
Jesse Bertogliat, Casey Hankinson and Jay Moser are all disqualified
for the Gophers' game against Minnesota-Duluth this Friday at
Mariucci Arena.

Plus, winger Joe Pankratz will be out for at least two weeks after a
minor surgery to replace torn cartilage in his knee, and Bobby Dustin
is questionable with bruised ribs.

However, rookie defenseman Jason Godbout should be back from a severe
thigh bruise that kept him out of action this weekend.

Leading the list of possible replacement players are Brandon Steege
and Jason Seils.

Bulldogs no pushovers
**********************
Minnesota-Duluth has risen from the cellar in the WCHA in recent
weeks and has recently moved up to sixth place in the conference.

The Bulldogs are 6-2-2 in the their past 10 games, making them one of
the hottest teams in the league.

But most importantly, Minnesota-Duluth is 4-0-1 in their last five
games on the road, a record they haven't been able to attain since
the 1985-86 season.

Carol S. White                            BITNET: c-whit@uminn1
University of Minnesota        internet:[log in to unmask]
Office of the Registrar
(612) 625-8517                                    GO Gophers!!!