From:
Allen Bibeau <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Allen Bibeau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Feb 1995 16:13:44 +0000
Reed H Munson wrote....
>Reed H Munson <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      WCHA pep bands

>The past two weekends I've listened to the Gopher hockey
>games at Wisconsin and MTU. The way the radio broadcasters
>are situated you can usually hear the pep band pretty good.

>Now I've always thought UW had the best pep band in the
>WCHA, but after listening to two games from Houghton this
>past weekend I have to say that the MTU pep band is hands
>down the best. They play really well and do a wide
>selection of cool and goofy songs. The crowd really seems
>to like what they do! It was really fun listening to them
>on the radio!

>Any thoughts out there on hockey pep bands?
>Reed

I have to agree.  When we made the trip to Houghton from
Marquette (NMU) a few times one thing we didn't want to do
was sit near the band.  They certainly have a LOUD way of
getting the crowd into the hockey game.  Of course they
seemed to find the area where the majority of the visitors
were sitting and stop by to play us a tune.   They also have
a little repetitive number that is played when MTU is on the
power play.  It certainly has a way of grating on your
nerves.

BTW, as I understand it MTU has no formal band program. From
what I remember reading in their program, the band consists
of students with musical talents?!?! who do it for the fun
of it.  Just by watching
how they get into supporting the team they certainly look

like they are having fun.  And they are good.

Al