From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 16 Jan 1995 14:52:04 -0500
In email, Rick McAdoo writes:
>Time for serious stuff:  I know that Kesselring has had a good year, and
>BC's best news has been the strong debut of Jamie O'Leary.  Noble has
>done all right in goal for BU.  Who is the frontrunner (and who are the
>other candidates) for HE rookie of the year??  I don't know all the
>freshmen that are doing well, and I hoped you might have a better feel
>for this.  If you think this question is worthy of HOCKEY-L discussion,
>feel free to put it up there.

I'd be curious to hear other people's thoughts, but at this time,
these would be my leading candidates to make the All-Rookie Team:

Boston College
 F Jamie O'Leary
Boston University
 G Tom Noble
 D Chris Kelleher
Maine
 F Shawn Wansborough
 F Scott Parmentier
 *D Jeff Tory
Mass Lowell
 D Mike Nicholishen
Merrimack
 F Casey Kesselring
New Hampshire
 F Mark Mowers
Northeastern
 F Scott Campbell

*-I don't know if Tory is eligible for a "rookie" honor, but if he is,
I would select him.

Out of all of these, my favorites for Rookie of the Year right now are:

1 Noble, BU
2 Mowers, UNH
3 Tory, Maine (if eligible)
  O'Leary, BC (if Tory is not eligible)

All of these players have had superb starts and made significant
impacts on their teams, but I think it is a good bet that the Rookie
Team will come from the list above.

Forward will be a tough call, but D & G have little competition.  If
Tory is not eligible for such an honor, that leaves only Kelleher and
Nicholishen.  And Noble gets the G spot by default, although he has
also played well enough that I would choose him as my RotY.