From:
Steve Czuba Rpi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 1994 17:23:34 -0500
I hope people who could care less about RPI aren't ready to kill all of us by
now, but remember, who else but an engineering oriented school would have so
much representation on an EMAIL system.

Anyway, here's my take.

1. I don't know what the rest of you are talking about when it comes to
'expectations'. I've never had any and I never sensed the student body had
unrealistic expectations regarding won/loss records. I for one lived and died
with the team for 4 years, but I never presumed they were going to win ANY game.
And the Should win games I remember were during the 84/5 campaign, they were
riding a season long unbeaten streak and playing the bottom teams in the
division. (Princeton is not in last place this year folks)

2. Yes, I agree that RPI was a big draw to the Capitol Distric Area and I DO
think that they always had high hopes, but not to the extreme I've heard
mentioned here. And if you want to talk about critical media, try living in NY
and being a fan of ANY team there. Talk about expectations. And now I find
myself living 25 miles from Boston, and these people are either taking the Pats
to the superbowl or flushing them down the toilet.

Anyway, my only point being that I think although RPI fans route ravenously for
their team, they're much more even keeled in the support. ie. they'll always buy
tickets, and they'll always brave the snow. I really don't see any difference
between schools like Clarkson, St. Lawrence, Maine as far as being the only game
in town. (forget about being near Albany)

3. One of the biggest flaws of the team in my opinion since I left in 86 has
been their inconsistant level of play - and I don't think it has anything to do
with their opponents level of play, but rather is a function of the free
wheeling Buddy Powers undisciplined style of play. So please stop degrading
other ECAC teams and blame Mr Powers (IMO) - Yeah I know Bowling Green is off to
a good start this year, don't flame me. But Addessa's (and now Frigden's)
emphasis is on D-fense and I'm all for it. defense wins.

enough ramlbing

steve
RPI 86
Go Giants - Go Bruins - Go Red Sox - Go Pats - Go home it's 5:30