From:
"G. M. Finniss" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 2 Nov 1994 11:03:33 -0500
Scott Quakkelar wrote:
>also, i noticed that the spartan's leading scorer, anson carter, is somewhere
>in the middle of the ccha pack.  is the scoring spread among a number of
>players, or is buzak (damn, he's good) the reason they're winning?

A little of both.  The Spartans offense sort of stayed home this weekend in
the trip to K-zoo and Chicago.  When they have been scoring, however, it's
really been spread out.  In the 8-3 win over UIC two Saturdays ago, there were
seven different goal scorers and 16 players picked up points.

This actually isn't that bad of news for Green and White fans.  We've always
known that Carter, Guolla, and Murray could light the lamp regularly.  But to
have players like Keyes, Watt, Berens, Crane, Tuzzolino, and Clifford score
gives the Spartans the extra edge they need.

With the offense not showing up this weekend, it puts much more pressure on the
defense.  And the defense is, to put it bluntly, green (no pun intended).  We
have been regularly starting two freshmen on the back line (Harlton and
Gaskins) and have a third waiting in the wings (Harper).

It really gives the Spartans a situation similar to that of Michigan last year.
With a more consistent offense, the Spartans should have no problems and can
take some of the load off of Buzak.  Otherwise, you get what happened this
weekend and Buzak faces 76 (or so) shots in two games.

G. M. Finniss
Michigan State University 3-0-1, 4-0-1
WVU '87, UTenn '92, MSU who the hell knows when?